Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Everybody's a critic 2

Casey Abell over the weekend had a post at his blog about these images (more like "rants" or "comments") from Game Show Confessions on Tumblr. You can click on the images to see them much larger.
 The first one states "GSN is going to be fine, people! To the guy that overreacted about no new classics, oy. At least GSN is sticking with its roots, and that includes both classic and modern game shows. Trust me, would you prefer to see Dancing with the Stars again on this network? I mean Really."

There are a few, mainly on GameShowForum or any forum who will over-react to GSN's classic lineup and acquisitions. Whether it's the number of episodes in the lease or quality of the episode, there will be complaints. I would just be perfectly happy with what GSN shows. Plus, no one wants to see DWTS again.

Next: "I like the Chuck Woolery version of Lingo much better than the Bill Engvall version, so I'm really angry that GSN is replacing the Chuck Woolery version with the Bill Engvall version this week."

Woolery Lingo has been on and off GSN since October 2012. Between Deal or No Deal and Shop 'Til You Drop slumping in late-afternoons plus not a lot of optimism for the noon hour schedule change mentioned, Woolery Lingo may not be gone for too long.

The next is long, but there's a point. R-Rated programs that are mentioned are not really that bad when you look at the rest of cable television. Shows like Baggage and Mind of a Man are dwindling down while Newlywed Game still produces some productive numbers but has definitely been cutback in the past few years. Harvey Feud is different, due to its numbers. Sorry Harvey haters.

2014 cannot be a worse year than 2011. GSN has so many shows with potential coming, including American Bible Challenge, It Takes a Church and The Chase. 2012 and 2013 were solid years where GSN has made a comeback from "2011: The Worst year in GSN History", which I agree with. 2012 and 2013 also had flops like Family Trade and Beat the Chefs.

Fourth one in short: I do believe GSN will pick up Hollywood Game Night eventually, once its popularity dies down. But their main focus seems like their own original programming now.


  1. GSN should be okay, and nobody wants DWTS back on the network. Nobody.

    Woolery Lingo has always been a personal favorite of mine, so I'm hoping it will return to the schedule soon. Hopefully GSN will start with the 2002 premiere and not reduce themselves to only airing seasons 5 and 6.

    I'll admit that I'm the one who wrote the really long one. I probably overreacted a little bit, but when I referred to those shows as R-Rated, is that those shows are still bad, despite being better by comparison. That's one reason why television in general has been losing popularity over recent years, it's because shows like this are passed off as "Good TV" when if you think about it long enough there's really nothing good about them at all.

    I think Hollywood Game Night has the same R-Rated problem as the others. I hope it doesn't turn up on GSN when it's run on NBC is finished, though I wouldn't be surprised at all if it did.

  2. A few points to you for calling it by its correct name, "Game Show Forum". Does Casey know how weird it looks to call it "What's left of what used to be Matt Ottinger's board"? Makes me think he has some kind of obsession with the man......Can he not call it by its proper name or is he "too good" for that?

  3. Casey has an obsession with calling things what he thinks is funny. He won't call him Cedric the Entertainer, or the Hub tv channel what it is, or lots of other things. That's why some people think he's a fat turd.

  4. Let's see...

    The reason I stay away from what's left of what used to be Matt Ottinger's board - an exact description, by the way - is that the threads so often run off into flame wars. Don't need the aggravation. But if I see an interesting comment about game shows on the board, sure, I'll talk about it. I do the same with a lot of other game show sites...this one, for instance.

    As for Mr. Kyles, sorry, I prefer to call people by their real names. It seems belittling to refer to somebody as Cedric the Entertainer. Sort of like Scott the Blogger. The man's real name is Cedric Kyles, and that's what I'll call him.

    I don't understand the criticism about Hub. I call it...Hub. That's the name of the network. I have made a few jokes aboout Hasbro's obsessive product placement on the network, but I'm hardly alone in that.

    As for anonymous posters who call other people derogatory names, I call them...cowards. Because that's what they are.

    1. Just to pat myself on the back a little, I put my name on everything I post on the Internet. I don't hide behind "Anonymous" to insult other people. And I have very little respect for Internet posters who do that.

      If you've got a bone to pick with me, fine. Put your real name on the comment, and we'll discuss the matter.