Saturday, January 4, 2014

'Mind of a Man': Pre-review

From the official gameplay courtesy of Hollywood Junket to its similarity to Baggage and other previous GSN shows, we've already heard a lot from Mind of a Man which has been kept low key in the online media compared other GSN originals The Chase, American Bible Challenge and Minute to Win It during their premieres.

Besides Mind of a Man looking like Family Feud and Baggage, there are also similarities to GSN flops Love Triangle and Drew Carey's Improv gig. Both Love Triangle and Improv were relatively short runs with both shows being axed to late nights and weekend afternoons a few short months after their April 2011 premieres.

Mind of a Man, from all the previews seems like too much chatter and "trash" like Love Triangle. In addition, a lot of celebrity humor like Improv-a-Ganza. In fact, an administrator on the Drew Carey Improv-A-Ganza Facebook page even teased this, showing similarity to Improv-a-Ganza.

Sure, Mind of a Man since released in the first upfronts of 2013-14 has appeared as "please the people" for the Family Feud crowd which has taken ratings dominance in 2013, primarily the Steve Harvey hosted version. But its connection and tie-ins to Love Triangle and Improv are imminent. GSN has seen the most success in the past two years from more intelligent and creative shows like The Chase and American Bible Challenge, whereas trashy television on Game Show Network doesn't stick around, like Love Triangle.

Mind of a Man is not just a show that's "One [season] and done", but with the forty episodes expected to air now through March and a massive rerun cycle, I can see Mind of a Man dipping into some tumbling ratings by February, pulling this new original off the air Wednesday nights by February and completely by March. New episodes could eventually be shown in a different timeslot or in a Spring/Summer marathon or cycle.

Mind of a Man premieres Wednesday at 8pm Eastern on GSN.


  1. I hope this show fails like you say it will. Hopefully it will be off the schedule for good before the end of the year.

  2. I certainly won't be watching it, and I'm enraged they took Karn Feud off on Monday nights for this show that probably will fail anyway. But I'm guessing it won't be long before Karn is back on Monday nights. Maybe GSN only plans to do this for a few weeks and I certainly hope they will. I know a lot of people hate Karn, but me and my family admire him and his episodes, even though we never really watched "Home Improvement" back in the day. If they ever took Karn off of GSN, you cannot possibly imagine how depressed I would be. Don't get me wrong, I like O'Hurley too, but I just don't admire him as much. I know I'm one of the few, but that's just me.

  3. No worries. Richard Karn's Family Feud still airs Weekdays at 5pm Eastern, Saturdays at 4pm and Sundays at 3pm.

  4. Yes, that's true. Still, it doesn't make sense to get rid of Karn Monday night since that was the only time GSN was airing his third season, but, as I said, this may not be permanent.

  5. The show is disgusting, GSN moved it out of prime time, thankfully, show should be cancelled.

  6. cancel mind of a man